The Sierra Wireless mangOH™ Red open source hardware platform is available primarily through Digi-Key Electronics, a global electronic components distributor. Targeted at the industrial IoT and maker communities, mangOH Red is the most feature-rich, lowest power open source enablement platform on the market. Talon Communications is producing the mangOH Red and IoT Expansion cards for use with the Red, including a CAN, Ethernet and Wi-Fi/BT expansion card.
Smaller than a credit card, it includes all of the building blocks needed to prototype and test ideas in days instead of months, with minimal investment. mangOH Red designs can then be modified and repurposed for mass production using its industrial-grade components and applications developed in the Legato® open source Linux platform.
Following the successful first mangOH Green edition, mangOH Red focuses on low power and miniaturization, providing a one-stop technology platform that includes:
- Credit card size form-factor ideal for rapidly building proof-of-concepts
- A snap-in socket to add any CF3®-compatible modules, including wireless modules (2G to 4G & LTE-M/NB-IoT) to achieve up to 10 years of battery life
- Built-in Wi-Fi b/g/n and Bluetooth 4.2 BLE with an ARM Cortex®-M4 core to provide real-time access to I/O
- Built-in Accelerometer, Gyroscope, Temperature and Pressure sensors, as well as a Light sensor and a 26-pin Raspberry Pi compatible connector
- An IoT Expansion Card slot to plug in any technology based on the IoT Connector open standard
- Sierra Wireless Smart SIM with up to 100 MB free data, depending on region, and can also be used with any commercially available SIM
- Easy connection to the AirVantage® IoT Platform to create, deploy and manage solutions in the cloud, and can also connect to other cloud platforms
- Ready-to-use product from selected distributors and complete source design under Common Creative License
The IoT Expansion Card form factor is designed to be a cost-competitive solution for several current and emerging host applications, by providing:
- On-demand hardware applications – The same host application can be used for different market segments by including unique expansion cards for each segment. For example, a Wi-Fi/Bluetooth solution for one segment and an environmental sensor for another segment.
- Electrical and feature compatibility across IoT technologies – Availability of several data interfaces allows support for various IoT solutions. For example, digital audio over PCM, application control and data transfer over USB, etc.
- Compatibility with various PAN technologies, sensors, and other IoT applications.
For more information about mangOH or to view Sierra Wireless’ entire product listing, please visit the Digi-Key website. Visit www.mangoh.io for tutorials, step-by-step instructions and developer forum.